Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Turn on Ratings Feature in SharePoint 2010

Having just installed a fresh copy of SharePoint 2010, I of course wanted to immediately use the new Ratings feature (i.e. Netflix style ratings on list/library items). However, for some reason I could not find any reference to ratings in central admin or site settings. No way to turn it on, activate it, add a column, nothing. So what did I do?

Powershell to the rescue.

I wanted to enable a feature, so I did:

get-help *enable* and found the cmdlet called "Enable-SPFeature"

then I looked up the ratings feature identity online and found this blog post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mcsnoiwb/archive/2010/01/07/features-and-their-guid-s-in-sp2010.aspx. Cool! Now I have my command:

enable-spfeature -identity 915c240e-a6cc-49b8-8b2c-0bff8b553ed3 -url http://servername

Voila! Now I have "Rating Settings" in all lists/libraries. Still wish I knew why Ratings wasn't there in the first place, but this is a good example of using some of the built in Powershell cmdlets for SharePoint.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks, helped me out! I was trying to find this feature through the UI, but it seems that it's hidden.

Fuady Hidayat said...

Thanks a lot, Dave! You really help me! ;)

anuraj44 said...

Thanks for your post.
Your post helped me alot.

navya said...


My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
Sharepoint 2010 Archiving

magnifictraining said...

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!
Hadoop training